I used to love this striped maxi dress (on the left), I used to wear it with a t shirt over the top- and thought I looked cute, until I saw this picture of myself wearing it. Yikes! First of all, it’s way too long, and the horizontal stripes on my curvy body just aren’t flattering!
The mixed up stripes on the blue and white maxi are more flattering than the stripes on the grey and white dress. It also has a looser cut, which doesn’t hug my hips as much. The denim jacket adds a nice casual touch. Roll up the sleeves & add some cute bracelets to add a little style. Swap out the Birkenstocks for cute wedges and I’m good to go!
I love my maxi dress- it is the ultimate in comfort (it’s like wearing a nightgown all day,) and looks stylish at the same time.
Trouble is, my maxi seemed too summery for me to wear in October…
Unless I layer a tank underneath, add a cute cropped trench coat, and finish the look off with my wedge booties. The matching necklace is just icing on the cake!
Now I look totally appropriate for a beautiful fall day!
Note- I accidentally shrunk my maxi in the dryer (gasp), so this is a little too short. Technically, it should go all the way to the floor. Also, I think my white tank goes up too high- I will be changing it for a lower profile one!
If you haven’t already, click on the link to the right and join me on Facebook!
Hello friends! After an incredible weekend in Northern CA, I am now home- and am utterly exhausted! Can I just tell you how adorable Carmel is? If you haven’t been- GO!
A special thanks to my dear friend Heidi for hosting us all weekend. She is an awesome travel guide and we had a blast. Thank you!
As for today’s outfit- I’m wearing my ever favorite maxi dress again. It’s from the Gap- and it’s a gorgeous shade of blue (hard to tell in photos).
This is actually what I wore on the plane yesterday. In order to be comfy and warm- I threw a cardigan and a scarf over the top. I stuck to a palette of blues and grays, which I think looks cool and the layers give the look some dimension.
I knotted the scarf- to make a faux infinity scarf- and then looped it around my head three times. It’s such an easy and effortless outfit- and perfect for traveling!
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Hope you’re sitting somewhere enjoying a big bowl of guacamole and sipping a margarita! (My 2 favorite things!)
I’m wearing another maxi dress today. Last time I wore this- it was a miss, (remember this?)
So today I played it safe and just added a neutral cardigan and a bright fun necklace. Very simple, very easy, very me!
You might have noticed I wear this cardigan ALL THE TIME! It is a light shade of grey, and I bought it at J Crew abut 2 years ago. I remember balking a bit because of the price (it was probably around $80), but it was so worth it. It goes with everything and is a great basic piece to have. Because of the good quality, it has lasted a long time!
If you want to change things up a bit, a denim jacket also works well!
I am Megan’s sister, Kara, and she has asked me to write today. I live in Kansas City, and one of the advantages of living in a smaller city (as compared to Seattle) is that when fun things come to town, it is easy to get up close and take full advantage of them! Case in point: one of our local and upscale shopping districts, The Country Club Plaza, hosted a fashion show yesterday featuring clothes from Kate Spade and Lucky Jeans, and it was hosted by Tim Gunn! I was invited to the show, and I brought my good friend Mindy (who’s fashion sense if off the hook and totally inspiring!). We made a girls’ day of it and had so much fun listening to what Tim Gunn had to say (if you are unfamiliar with who he is – he is the fashion mentor for Project Runway and writes for People Style Watch among other things). He was very honest and funny, and had lots of great tips. (He also filled us in on great insider gossip with all sorts of fascinating insider tidbits about Project Runway and what Michael and Nina are really like as judges. Such fun!!!) I frantically tried to memorize everything he said so I could avoid future fashion disasters (the horror! what if I wore the cropped cargos he said were the worst mistake in the entire history of fashion??). I was later telling this all to my sister, and thus here I am – sharing it with whoever wants to hear it. Hopefully I am fairly representing what all he said. So without further ado, here are the tips I took away from this fun experience.
1) Don’t try to overmatch accessories (purse, shoes, belts, etc), but go for complimentary colors. (note: I was wearing cork ballet flats and a matching cork clutch and was horrified when he said this, and spent the rest of the fashion show trying to hide my new purse that I had been so excited about 5 minutes earlier)
2) Only tall(er) and thin people should wear cropped pants as they make you look shorter. By tall, I think he means around 5′ 5″ or taller. He reiterated that the short length just visually cuts off your leg. (note: I of course was wearing cropped pants as well. Gee whiz – what more could I do wrong?)
3) Never wear cropped cargos as they make you look shorter and wider.
4) When mixing prints (which he loves!), keep the color scheme the same (as in every item is navy and white) and make sure the patterns are on much different scales (i.e. a small print on the top and a huge print on bottom). When you squint to look at it you should not think it is all the same pattern.
5) A wrap dress is almost universally flattering. (they had a darling Kate Spade one in the show which was navy, Kelly green and white, and it was worn by a plus size model who looked absolutely amazing!)
6) If you have a lot of detail around your neckline, such as ruffles or a really intricate color, you don’t need a necklace as it will only compete.
7) Horizontal stripes are OK to wear as long as they are not too large or dominating. You don’t want them to overwhelm you.
8) If you are petite, avoid big patterns as they will swallow you up.
9) Unexpected punches of color are always fun and playful, like bright pink shoes or purse, especially if paired with a neutral or conservative (like all black and white) outfit.
10) Always dress down a maxi dress – use a big hobo purse or something big and casual and always wear sandals. Don’t try to dress it up. A jean jacket is a great layer for over a maxi dress.
11) A great white shirt is a must have for every closet. He showed several options – long sleeve, short sleeved, casual and dressy. It goes with anything and can be dressed up and down.
12) When dressing, visually split your body in thirds. He is an advocate of tucking in a shirt as a long shirt makes your body get split in half rather than thirds. It is OK to have a shirt tucked in with a long cardigan or open shirt over it, as the inside, tucked in shirt will do the visual “thirds” trick while the outer and longer layer just adds interest.
13) Belts are the greatest accessory as they are versatile and can accentuate your shape. He put belts on almost everything.
14) Anyone can wear skinny jeans! Just make sure they fit right (and aren’t too tight or too big). Their plus size model wore skinny jeans from Lucky and they were fabulous. They made her legs look great as they didn’t add too much bulk, but just skimmed the shape of her leg. He emphasized going somewhere where the sales clerks really know how to fit you.
I realize that Megan has mentioned a lot of these tips before (go megan!), and think it is fun to hear them again straight from the fashion icon himself! Hope you are all having a great Sunday!
One of my daughter’s absolute FAVORITE days at school is pajama day! When we went to Hawaii the first day there she realized she was missing pj day at school and was completely hysterical.
Seriously, she would rather wear her jammies to school than be in Hawaii… What’s wrong with this kid?!
Luckily, she has another pajama day today! Thank goodness!
That being said, I decided if she gets to be all comfy and cozy all day- well then so should I!
But, since my office wasn’t really keen on the whole pajama day theme- I had to improvise. Hence- the maxi dress.
This is THE trend of the season, and if you haven’t already purchased one (or two or three… ahem) then what are you waiting for?
I have seen them at Anthropologie, Nordstrom, Gap, Target, TJ Maxx, Old Navy… everywhere. They come in all colors and prices. They are flattering to almost all figures. Please, take my word for it- you will not regret this purchase.
However, on it’s own- it can look a little like a nightgown. It is very important to accessorize your nighty, I mean maxi.
Today I have added ballet flats- but sandals or wedges would be really cute. I’ve also added a necklace and a bright green cardigan. This will help keep me nice and warm- and also covers my shoulders- making it more appropriate for the workplace.
It’s Fashion Friday– so be sure to click here for lots of other great blogs.
Also, if you haven’t come over to Facebook to ‘like’ me- please do! I’m lonely over there…
Good morning! I’m not sure about my spelling of Maxinista, but hopefully you know what I mean.
I have always been a big fan of TJ Maxx, my mom is a huge fan and passed her love down to me. LOL!
The thing is though- you have to be very careful and have a very critical eye when you go.
Don’t just snap up everything in your sight- don’t buy things just because they are inexpensive.
Go knowing what you are looking for- and then if you find it- yeah! If not, try again another day. They are constantly getting new shipments in.
I went looking for a maxi dress. I’ve wanted one for a long time- and was so excited to see this for $39.
The problem is- wearing it all alone, it sort of looks like a nightgown, don’t you think?
On the left I have tried to fix this by adding this cute shirt over my dress (I love the hemline of this top) and then to define my waist I added a cute pink belt. To finish it off, I threw on my favorite Stella and Dot necklace.
The nice thing about a maxi dress is that is makes your legs look really long. If you are petit, this might be a great dress for you (but you’ll need to wear heels).
By the way, I’ve slipped down to #11 on Top Mommy Blogs- don’t forget to click on the link on the right to vote. You can vote everyday, it’s just one tiny (and quick) click! Thank you so much!!
It’s Wednesday, so I’ve linked with Pleated Poppy for What I Wore Wednesday. Check it out!