In the past fews days I’ve received a few emails from readers who want to know how to dress to their particular body type.
It’s actually a great point- what looks good on one person does not always look good on another.
That is why it is so important to know your body type- and to find ways to flaunt what you got and work with what you don’t!
So today’s outfit is geared toward all you petite women!
By the way, being petite is defined by height not weight! If you are under 5’4″ you are petite!
The number one way for a short gal to look taller is to dress in all one color. Look at the picture on the right compared to the one on the left. Which one makes me look taller?
The one on the left does! The uninterrupted black creates a long vertical line- which makes me look tall.
It’s hard to tell where my legs end and my middle begins. It also helps that I have on wedge heels (which is a must if you are tiny and want to look tall). To add one more vertical line I’ve added a necklace. This helps draw the eye up and down (rather than side to side).
For another great example of dressing in all one color, check out this fabulous outfit from 100 Inspirations!
On the right I have on the same exact pants, but I’ve paired them with flats and a cream tank. The cream and the black are pretty together, but it breaks up the look- literally cutting me in half (or thirds actually) making me look shorter.
Here are 9 more tips for Petite women:
1. First and foremost- shop in the Petite section of the store. These items are cut and for women with shorter legs.
2. Avoid wide leg jeans, hip huggers, pedal pushers, capris and boot cut jeans.
3. Opt for straight leg jeans- hem to wear with heels
4. Keep clothes uncluttered as possible (lapels, buttons, prints, pockets, patterns… all should be small)
5. Don’t wear skirts that end right below the knee, or any that are too full or girly. No A Lines.
6. Try a maxi dress with a cropped cardigan or jacket. Wear with wedge heels. Pencil skirts (that end right at the knee) will also look great.
7. For jackets/ coats, avoid long ones (that end mid calf). Look for one with an empire waist, or has a belt. Be sure it has a simple neckline that will draw the eye upwards. Avoid double breasted or anything with excess detail.
8. Sweaters- avoid bulky boyfriend style (too long), no chunky or heavy weaves, no cowl neck turtlenecks. Stick to scoop neck with a hip length hem or something that is somewhat fitted and will end at your natural waistline.
9. Shirts- go for simple here- something that cinches around (or above) your natural waist- not below it. Avoid horizontal stripes Wear a more voluminous top with a fitted bottom half.
Last but not least, don’t be afraid to have a ‘uniform’. If you find a style that works for your figure- it’s ok to wear a version of it everyday. Buy different color jackets or simple jewelry to change it up and add personality.
If you are petite and have some more suggestions/ advice, please send them in!
By the way, it’s Friday so I’m hooking up with Girlymama
. Also, please take a second to vote for me by clicking the link below. I’ve slipped out of the top 1o! Yikes!