If you are a long time reader you’ll remember that a while back I was on the hunt for some skinny cargos. My sister ended up finding these for me- they are Michael Kors (did you know he had a clothing line in addition to purses and shoes?!).
I really love these pants- they are exactly what I was looking for- soft cotton, enough stretch that I can actually move in them, and I love the skinny style.
Now my only problem is what to wear them with?!
Today I decided to go with a blue open knit sweater. Like the pants, this sweater is super soft- and the long length is perfect for skinny pants (read: my bum is covered). It’s really hard to see in the photos- but this sweater actually has a cute striped pattern to it. I tried to take a close up photo- but it didn’t translate very well (sorry!). For my shoes I opted for my black wedge booties*. And to finish the whole look off, I chose this Stella and Dot necklace.
I think this a much better outfit than the one on the right- the short cardigan is too plain on it’s own- and the length doesn’t work with the skinny cargos (absolutely no bum coverage here). The black sneakers are also a distraction- they seem dated and frumpy.
Sweater: Banana Republic, Pants: Michael Kors, Necklace: Stella and Dot, Shoes: DSW
*Full disclosure- I’m actually working from home today- so I’m not wearing these heels around the house. I have on my comfy Birkenstocks- but I know you don’t want to see those! 🙂
Today we decided to try a little fashion challenge- we had to put together an entire outfit using only items from Target.
It was fun to see what we could come up with!
Here are our 5 tips for dressing in less expensive clothes:
1. Have a nice purse and shoes (real leather). These are items to splurge on, people will see a high end purse or shoes and assume the rest of the outfit is high end.
2. Make sure your clothes are well pressed, no loose strings or buttons. Look polished.
3. Choose wisely. Go with a critical eye and have a goal in mind of what you are looking for. Kara gets the Nordstrom catalog as well as email updates from J Crew, Saks and Barneys to see what is current. She then looks for similar styles at lower end shops.
4. Erin’s advice is to know your style. Just because something is fashionable, doesn’t mean it will work for you. Know your body and what works and what doesn’t. Don’t get caught up trends just because they are inexpensive. Wear what looks good on YOU!
5. Own your look- radiate confidence.
Below is Erin’s look:
She’s wearing a chambray dress with an empire waist. This makes her legs look even longer. She’s paired her dress with red ballet flats and a cute necklace.
Kara chose a open knit sweater paired with a long cotton skirt. She added a tank and then accessorized with gorgeous necklace and bracelet and then finalized her look with her cute wedge heels.
I chose cropped skinny jeans, a white tank and this cute polka dot cardigan. I added a muted fushia beaded necklace and sandals. Looking at the pictures I wish I would have worn ballet flats.
Don’t forget, it’s Friday, so we’ve hooked up with Girlymama for Fashion Friday edition. Check it out!